Friday, January 8, 2010

Car History

God is the provider! I've always been blessed to have a car but I've had some junkers. I've been watching a lot of Top Gear lately and I just wanted to share my car chronology.

1979 Chevrolet Nova
When I was 14, in 1997, my Papa (grandfather) bought me my first car. It only had 18k miles but I didn't get around to driving it for 4 years. It was the typical Sunday grandma car and it had no options. It had an am pushbutton radio, no-air conditioning, and under powered straight 6 engine and a sweet tan paint job. I ruined this car, the transmission and engine blew out on the turnpike between Tulsa and OKC.

1997 Pontiac Sunfire 4 door
What a leap forward this car was for me. It made a terrible clicking noise that we could never figure out and by the time we sold it the starter had some sort of wiring problem that required you to hold down a homemade button while you turned the key over, a great anti-theft deterrent.

1994 Dodge Intrepid
I loved this car. When I was a child I remember thinking it was the coolest looking normal family car. I blew out the radiator one July 4th in Stillwater when I left the AC on while the car was idling and it was never the same after that. I always had to carry around jugs of water for when it overheated. To make things worse the front driver side door stopped closing one winter morning which required me to strap the front and back door together and slide over the passenger seat to get out. I also had to disconect the battery every time I left the car to prevent the battery from dieing because the dome light wouldn't go off since the door wasn't "shut". Actually I hated this car.

1991 Cadillac De Ville
This was my favorite car. It was kept in excellent condition and it was the most comfortable car to travel in. It was old but it had all of the options and a huge engine. Getting on the highway was so fun in this car, it accelerated so quickly. My brother-in-law blew out the tranny on the way home from Ponca City but that didn't phase me much because I just replaced the transmission and kept on loving it. Eventually it got old and quit running. The trunk also quit closing and I had to tie it shut with rope. We sold it to somebody who was able to fix all of the problems very cheaply and he's made it quite the pimp car, maybe literally.

1996 Pontiac Sunfire 2-door
I bought this car with the money I made selling my Magic: The Gathering Online collection. It was a fine car but it was only meant to be a temporary fix and my sister liked it a lot more and traded it for the worst car ever.

1997 Ford Taurus
Ugh. I hated the way it looked, it had ovals everywhere, but it was a 4 door car that was attainable. It had the engine of a 1996 Taurus my sister had wrecked and the rest was from a 1998 junkyard special. The problems were too many to list here. As I was driving it to the dealership to trade it in the power steering went out. It was time for a radical change.

2008 Kia Optima
This car has been perfect, save for the wonky sun visor. With this car I wanted to get away from all my previous trends. Looking over this list you'll find a lot of Domestic junkers so I went with something made anywhere but here and with an awesome warranty. I should check if the warranty covers the wonky sun visor...

This has been a good distraction from what I've been going through lately. Thanks for indulging me and share your car stories in the comments!

No comments:

Post a Comment