Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Harder to Believe Than Not to



This is one of my all-time favorite songs but I doubt too many people know about it or have ever heard it. I heard this song a couple times on the radio in the late 90s when I was in my teens and I identified with out so strongly. The lyrics really spoke to me at a time when I felt like being a Christian was a constant uphill struggle. The line where it says "But it gets so hard when they don't want to listen" summed up every attempt I had at witnessing to somebody in High School. The story behind the song comes from a quote by a famous author who was criticized by her contemporaries for being a Christian. Her response was It's harder to believe than not to.

This is actually a cover version, the original was recorder by Steve Taylor in 1990 or so. This song was part of a tribute CD to Steve Taylor. The original recording is not my style but I really like what Fleming and John did to it. I remember tuning my guitar down to C just to play along with this song over and over again.

Fleming and John had a string of good hits but none were ever as good as this one in my eyes. One of their hits, I'm Not Afraid, was all over secular radio and a tv show about a psychic who helped cops find killers and stuff and I remember Love Songs being the number 1 song on the local Christian station in 1996 or so. Fleming and John are a husband and wife duo. The husband actually produced the Sixpence None the Richer album that had Kiss Me on it, small world.

Tomorrow we'll start a multi-part study in mid-90s Christian Ska. Join us please?

No comments:

Post a Comment