Saturday, December 18, 2010

Top 25 songs of 2010 #1

1. Your Arms Around Me by Jens Lekman

I first heard this song in that movie Whip It. That movie doesn't crack my top 50 movies of the year, it was fun but not very good. The best thing about the movie though was the music. I got a lot of good songs from the soundtrack, it's a really good eclectic mix of punk, southern rock, and whatever you'd call this song (swedish indie pop?).

The way I calculated that this was my #1 song of the year was by taking into account that it was discovered by me this year (even though it's about 3 years old), that it was added to my iTunes library this year, and that it had the most plays of any other songs that were added this year. I can remember listening to this on the way to and from work a lot, it's a great song to blast (with the windows up). I love singing the chorus at the top of my lungs in my best Jens Lekman impression.

The lyrics are awesome. Jens really captures that moment of dizzying love you feel when you accidently cut of your finger because your lover sneaks up behind you while you're cutting up an avocado. I don't even know how many times that's happened to me but I'm guessing the maximum amount of times possible would be 10 or so.

I'm aware that I'm writing this a little tongue-in-cheek. Maybe that's because the list didn't really pan out the way I thought it would. This is a great song and I recommend it but I'm a little embarrassed something cooler and better wasn't #1. To more understand myself I'm going to end this countdown by posting my other #1's for as long as my iTunes library goes back.

2009's #1 was: Noticed by Mute Math


2008's #1 was: Tarantula by The Smashing Pumpkins


2007's #1 was: Robo by How I became the Bomb which I can't find a good video of but check out that song it's amazing, I'll include the #2 song from that year: O Valencia by The Decemberists.


2006's #1 was: Say it Ain't So by The Thrills which is not anywhere on youtube. But #2 that year was July July by The Decemberists.


2005's #1 was: Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots pt1 by The Flaming Lips


2004's #1 was: Ocean Breathes Salty by Modest Mouse


This was fun. I love music, I love statistics and lists so this will have to continue somehow. This is now my music blog! Next up will be honorable mentions and the songs I didn't want in my top 25 of the year.

No comments:

Post a Comment