Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Top 25 songs of 2010 the final countdown part 2

4. God With Us by Mercyme

There was a month or so this year where I was addicted to this song. This is another hit from the Delirious? playlist on pandora that I got so much mileage out of. The lyrics are just masterful. The opening line refers to Psalm 8 where the author praises God for his creation of the Earth and asks "who is man that you would be mindful of us?" or "How could the big awesome creator of everything care about stupid old me?". Psalm 8 is one of my favorites, I first fell in love with it through a cheesy 90s song called GOD by Rebecca St. James. I wore that tape out and was so sad when the actual tape inside the cassette broke. Psalm 8 is very interesting, in the 5th verse it says that he "made us a little below the angels" some translations say heavenly beings but the Hebrew word that the author is comparing us to is Elohim which is Hebrew for GOD.

I don't typically like Mercyme but they nailed this song. The note the lead singer hits when he sings "such a tiny offering" is just unreal. I guess the reason I've always been loathe to listen to Mercyme is because I was inundated with that I can only imagine song they had a few years ago. There are only a few songs that can make me cry, the last verse of Amazing Grace when it goes "When we've been there 10 thousand years...", Every New Day by Five Iron Frenzy, California Love by Tupac and Dr Dre and the aforementioned Mercyme song.. I typically shy away from those emotions and if I get lost in I Can Only Imagine it gets to me a little. I guess I've been avoiding writing about this, I want this to be fun but it's challenging writing about my avoidance of that song because it reminds me of a time I was running away from GOD.

Tomorrow takes us to #3 on this list which is by some God lovin' Aussies. Just kidding about the tupac thing ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment