Saturday, December 11, 2010

Top 25 Songs of 2010 Part 4 10 - 6

We're counting down to the single digits today!!!!!!!!!! I don't use exclamation points in vain! I'm excited! These are songs 10 through 6 of my top 25 songs of 2010. These are songs that I found out about this year, not songs that came out this year.

After pontificating (big word score!) about secular and Christian music in my last blog post I wanted more songs that would show that contrast in philosophies but today I have 5 secular songs. The last five songs are chock full of Jesus though. I desire to be transparent with this countdown as it's as much a countdown as it is a snapshot of where I am spiritually. My opinion is that there are 3 types of music not just Christian and secular. There are songs that are fun, songs that exhort the body of Christ and songs that glorify God. Today's songs are all for fun.

10. Lost in the Supermarket by The Clash

I've always had a couple of favorite Clash songs. The local pop station KJ103 used to play Should I stay or Should I Go on a semi-regular basis and I think London Calling is one of the best songs of all time. I was surprised when I came across this song because it just doesn't sound like what I always thought was the punk sound. I'm pretty sure that this song's been on lots of commercials too.

9. If We Ever Meet Again by Timbaland (featuring Katy Perry)

Once I heard this song it just wouldn't get out of my head. Usually that's a bad thing but I think this song has a some charm to it. On the surface this is just a throw-away typical Timbaland-produced auto-tune infused pop song and that's really all it is and I like it in spite of that. What is up with the last 30 seconds of this song though... I edited that strange instrumental part out of it when I put it in my iTunes... Who needs that?

8. Kodachrome by Paul Simon

My Dad had oldies music going at a cookout in the summer and I was talking with my family about how I like a lot of the music that my parents grew up with which can be attributed to the cd club my parents joined in the 90s. They got roped into one of those get 10 cds for a penny scams in the Sunday paper and 6-8 weeks later a shipment of classic rock came in the mail. The albums I remember them getting were Bat at of Hell by Meatloaf, Bostons's debut album, Best of Styx, Best of Journey, Best of Pat Benetar, and an AC/DC album. I was like 14 or so at the time and had the only CD player in the house, so these were on constant rotation in my room. My love of classic rock took me to Paul Simon and when one of his songs came on the radio at the cookout I mentioned that I thought there were only like 3 or 4 Paul Simon songs that were good and those 3 or 4 are some of my favorite songs. My sister's boyfried, who is older, had me name of my favorite Paul Simon songs and when I didn't name Kodachrome he suggested I go home and download asap. It's been on constant rotation since, such a great song.

7. Dancing in the Moonlight by King Harvest

I have no cool story about how I found this song this year. It must have been some pandora list or something. I love the mellowness of this song. It's soooo relaxing.

6. Wheels by Cake

I listened to all of the Cake albums on a road trip this year. I came to Cake a little after the party (which seems to be a trend for me) and I had the top hits of theirs on my iPod and I somehow had missed this song. It's got what I would call the typical Cake sound with the fuzzy guitar and trumpet. The first cake song I fell in love with was Frank Sinatra. I used to run a theatre that while I was there had Christian Plays, Christian Stand up Comedy, and local Christian music. At some point a local dance troupe rented out the theater and I stuck around to watch it. There was a girl who did some kind of modern dance routine to the Frank Sinatra Cake song and aside from the awesome song choice I remember two things about her performance; she had angel wing tattoos on the FRONT of her shoulders and she didn't shave her pits. I asked her about the song after the show and went home and downloaded it and I've loved Cake ever since.

Tomorrow is the last day of the countdown with songs 5 through 1. 3 of them are bona fide Christian hits 2 of the christian tunes can be heard at any given church on a Sunday Morning, 1 of them is a video game inspired rap love song that's probably a nerdcore song and number one is from a certain roller derby movie soundtrack.

2 comments:

  1. Dude! Cake is an awesome band. I'm kinda shocked to read you just "discovered" their music this year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I discovered the song not the band this year.

    ReplyDelete