Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Top 25 songs of 2010 the final countdown part 3

3. Freedom is Here by Hillsong United

This was definitely my favorite worship song of the year. The first time I heard it was at some staff event during a worship set. I couldn't figure out how to sing the "is here" part of the chorus. I kept singing "freeeedom asheere", I guess the way the guy who was leading worship made it hard to hear the "it" or I'm an idiot.

I've had so many great moments of worship with this song this year. I've always said substance over style and preference when it comes to worship music. The thought being that I should be able to worship at God's feet with any type of music, but it sure helps when the song is as catchy and awesome as this one.

One criticism I have with the Hillsong stuff is the live crowds in the background, I've never cared for live recordings that much but I think I've actually enjoyed this song more when it's performed masterfully by the worship leaders I work with. I especially remember when this was the first song played at the annual Family Reunion we have at lifechurch when all the employees get together. It was the first song of the worship set and the band had Joe Dingwall from Albany on lead vox, Stephen Cole from NW OKC on drums, Justin Cowell from Owasso on Bass, JT Murrell from South OKC on Keyboard and I'm forgetting who was lead guitar. If that was a slice of what corporate worship in heaven will be like then I can't wait to see what we have in store for us up there. It was so great being surrounded with all my colleagues during that special time of worship and the presence of GOD was THICK. It really made me thankful for everything GOD has given me.

Tomorrow's song is the oddball, the blacksheep if you weeeel of the list. It's about a video game I loved as a kid but could never beat a level of.

No comments:

Post a Comment