Monday, December 13, 2010

Top 25 songs of 2010 the final countdown part 1

This week I'll be counting down songs 5 through 1. I'm changing the format up a little bit this week, I'm gonna slow it down a little bit and go one song at a time for the top 5. These songs were the highest rated and most played songs on my iTunes this year. These are all songs that I only found out about this year, in the case of this song I'm about 30 years late to the party.

5. Radio Radio by Elivs Costello

This is the second appearance of Elvis Costello in the top 25 (13. was No Action). I really love the album this song comes from, it's so catchy and energetic. I never really liked Elvis Costello until this year. I'm hoping to find more and more of his stuff that I like but some most of what I've heard has not been as good as the this song. This is a pretty famous song because of the controversy behind it. Apperently Elvis was booked as a replacement for the Sex Pistols on Saturday Night Live and had rehearsed a different song called Less Than Zero but when it came time to actually perform it he played a couple bars and yelled, "Stop, Stop!" and then said to the audience,"I'm sorry, ladies and gentlemen, there's no reason to do this song here." and then he launched into Radio Radio. According to wikipedia there are 3 theories behind him doing that. One theory is that Less Than Zero is some sort of British protest song that is irrevelant to us yanks another reason could have been that he was protesting being controlled by his record label and being pressured into what song he would perform. Elvis later said in an interview that he was paying homage to something similar that Jimi Hendrix had done on a live BBC show. Needless to say he got banned from SNL until 1989. Later on he sabotaged the Beastie Boys while they were performing Sabotage on SNL and played a pretty cool version of Radio Radio.

I love the way he says anesthetize...

Tomorrow's song was stuck on repeat on my iPod for awhile and shares something with the Timbaland song from earlier in the countdown.

No comments:

Post a Comment